Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Need help making a decision 

Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:21 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Good riddance. I don't need that temptation. :)

Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 pm

That is actually an amazingly tempting deal. Shell out 1k for one of these and get a free PS3. I might actually do that if I didn't intend to flee the country for Japan in a year or two.

Take it with you?

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Expensive as hell to ship it over, Japanese houses are tiny, and it seems to be over anyways. I don't really intend to take anything beyond my computer and clothing when I go, and maybe not even the computer if I have the cash for a laptop by then.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm

I caved in and spent the money to buy a 32" high definition lcd tv. I just happened to walk into a best buy and found an open box Insignia for 150$ off the normal price (450$ as opposed to 600). Its still more than I would like tp spend on a television, but figured if I was going to upgrade some day I might as well do it now because the chances of finding such a good deal again were slim. I've never heard of the brand Insignia, but from what I hear they are LG's lower end line. I just hope it's built better than their cell phones.

So far it seems to work fine, and it has all the gingerbread I would want out of a tv and thensome. There is one bad pixel in the bottom right hand corner that always shows the color green. The only time you can really see it though is when you're watching a letter box.

I did get this tv on bargain and it does look really good, but I still spent half of a paycheck on the damn thing. I'm wondering if I shouldn't return it because of the bad pixel. I mean 1 out of 2.07 million isn't bad, but it still is a defect. They won't exchange it for a new tv of course, they will give me a full refund or store credit. Any suggestions? Does anyone think 1 pixel is worth 150$?

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:10 am

Last edited by C4K3 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am

Hmm I don't know enough about tvs, will the pixels continue to go bad? If that is the case I should return it. I do have a sam's club membership, but i don't want to be paying for a tv for the rest of my life.

This tv does have a 1 year warranty, and it gets pretty good reviews from most of the sites that have reviewed it.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am

Hmm I don't know enough about tvs, will the pixels continue to go bad? If that is the case I should return it. I do have a sam's club membership, but i don't want to be paying for a tv for the rest of my life.

This tv does have a 1 year warranty, and it gets pretty good reviews from most of the sites that have reviewed it.

Doc, Insignia's blow ass, and it's an LCD which is going to have dead pixels like what you're seeing. It does just get worse.

Return it, $450 for that thing is way too much, especially considering you bought it for picture quality, and it has a dead pixel? ... seriously? lol

--Locane

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 am

Well I can't afford a plasma, and i'm not a fan of projection, so its going to have to be an LCD. The picture does look really good, except for the green beacon in the lower right hand corner. Shouldn't the warranty cover things like... dead pixels? I wish cnet would review this thing. It came with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, and i have up to 30 days to return it. If the pixels really do continue to go bad like christmas lights, I'll return it.

Last edited by TheDoc on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:56 am

Well I can't afford a plasma, so its going to have to be an LCD. The picture does look really good, except for the green beacon in the lower right hand corner. Shouldn't the warranty cover things like... dead pixels?

It should, but most manufacturers have a loop hole to get out of them, like you must respond within the first 14 days or something. If you're planning on keeping it, you should contact them and see what they'll do for you.

Insignia is a brand that got sold a lot at Costco, but for some reason they don't carry it anymore.

I'm looking around online and the best I'm finding is $500 after a coupon.

Really, you should just consider getting a projector. They'll run about $900, and you'll get a bigger screen out of it.

--Locane

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:09 am

I don't have room in my apartment for a bigger screen really. 32 inches was pushing it. I don't really like the idea of having to spend another 400$ on projection though, it's just too much money. I really had to bite the bullet to spend 450 on this thing.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 am
Site Admin

Ya also got it open box - there's no garuntee the previous box opener didn't register it.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:14 am
Profile YIM WWW

hmm, these are all very valid points that I should address within the next 30 days.

Benchmarkreviews.com seemed to like this tv. But i have to say the dead pixel does worry me a tad. It could however, very well be the reason the tv was returned in the first place.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=68

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:16 am

Last edited by C4K3 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:37 pm

yes, but on the flip side, don't you ever feel like if you buy a sony or a panasonic, you're just paying for the name?

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next