Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
cigarette? 

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:12 pm

he was responsible for both hurricane katrina, and the terrible evacuation situation that happened during hurricane rita, in fact i believe he was on the one that set the bus full of old people on fire, WITH A CIGARETTE!!! dun dun duuuun.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:20 pm
Site Admin

"We've heard their words...but let's look at the facts: George W. Bush once molested my grandma, while John Kerry held her down with bags of money provided by gay French Jews. On November 2, tell George W. Bush and John Kerry you support freedom...by writing a check to "Americans for 527 Ads"!" - Samantha Bee's 527 ad

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

because its illegal GOSH!
In all seriousness I don't think anyone can give a rational answer as to why marajuana is illegal and alcohol and cigarettes aren't. They are equally impairing and just as hazardous to your health, in some cases more so, I've never heard of anyone developing lung cancer from marajuana or anyone dying from marajuana poisoning from smoking too much. But to be completely fair I am not exactly sure what effect biologically THC has on the body, and what long term side effects it may cause. Though I'm quite sure it can't be worse than death or liver failure.

It's the smoke that causes the cancer, not the nicotine. Unless you're going to tell me marijuana doesn't have smoke, it (silly), it causes cancer.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Actually smoking mj does not cause cancer.

Quote:
The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

you can read the whole article here.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

I'm sure thoth will pipe in and poopoo it, but in the meantime, there it is.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:21 pm

TheDoc wrote:
because its illegal GOSH!
In all seriousness I don't think anyone can give a rational answer as to why marajuana is illegal and alcohol and cigarettes aren't. They are equally impairing and just as hazardous to your health, in some cases more so, I've never heard of anyone developing lung cancer from marajuana or anyone dying from marajuana poisoning from smoking too much. But to be completely fair I am not exactly sure what effect biologically THC has on the body, and what long term side effects it may cause. Though I'm quite sure it can't be worse than death or liver failure.

It's the smoke that causes the cancer, not the nicotine. Unless you're going to tell me marijuana doesn't have smoke, it (silly), it causes cancer.

You can cook with weed so sure you can avoid the cancer :p

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:46 pm

I'm not really a proponent of either to be honest. I'd just as soon keep my lungs healthy and not go to rehab.

Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm
Site Admin

I wonder where in the hell Tashkin found heavy marijuana users that didn’t also smoke cigarettes. I’ve never met one, and I’ve met a lot. Granted, I've never met a smoker under 30 who doesn't, at least ocasionally, smoke pot either.

Washington Post wrote:
marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

So… Marijuana is the cure for cancer! ;)

Washington Post wrote:
Tashkin said, previous studies found that marijuana tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.

Makes ya wonder who did the study on the chemicals in cigarette tar. How much you wanna bet if Tashkin did the same study concentrating on those chemicals, he’d find they don’t cause cancer? ;)

Ya’d think the ionizing effect of the smoke alone would be enough to cause cancer, but I’m always very skeptical when we find something causes cancer, as it seems cancer researchers always find what they set out to find – (with the obvious exception of Tashkin here) and in some cases it’s suspicious with who funds the studies (as it was in this case). I mean, I think it’s more or less proven with cigarettes, and it makes sense from a layman’s perspective, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I went and did research and it turned out not so much so, or at the very least, it isn't caused by the chemicals we think it is.
"It's just a habit, when I reach to the packet, for my last cigarette until the day breaks, and then my hand shakes, but it it's just driving me insane, when the smoke gets in my brain, I can't resist it!" - Nicotine Stain, Siouxsie
Thothie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:28 am
Profile YIM WWW

I don't think he said marijuana is a cure for cancer, more accurrately he said smoking it kills off older weaker cells (potentionally doing other damage). That makes sense in a way, if THC is any form of toxin or cytotoxin it would kill off older weaker cells much like chemo and radiation therapy, and since it is introduced in the highest concentration directly to the lungs, I would say it is quite possible that THC could prevent the growth of cancerous cells. But also, keep in mind you are reading an add from a newspaper not a scientific journal. Case studies on a small scale are often not the most dependable source of accurate information, however a larger scale case study usually does yield more reliable results. This did appear to be a rather large case study.

I've heard many times in the past that marijuana does not cause lung cancer, of course yes that's a biased statement when it comes from someone who frequently smokes pot, but this case study would suggest that its not completely bunk.

Besides thoth, you're overly cynical. You always think the motive has to do with monetary gain.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 am

I totally explained the Prohibition business, but nobody listened. ^^

Quote:
...and that would be the other reason why Marijuana is illegal, it's an underground cash crop - if it was above ground, it'd quickly become the biggest cash crop latin-america has ever seen. Even underground, it's apparently large enough to fund entire militaries.

Meh. The government's unification of foreign and domestic policy is nowhere near this intelligent, especially between administrations. We clearly favor domestic goods (i.e. domestic sources for ethanol), but the argument doesn't apply to marijuana. It grows effectively domestically, and we grow about half the consumed US supply. We could probably meet demand quite easily, especially marijuana grows on a lot of weird kinds of land.

I'd really argue it's an issue of inertia - things that are legal tend to stay legal, things that are illegal tend to stay illegal. Prohibition was the biggest exception in recenty history, and it was the aftershock that gave us the nascent war on drugs. Gotta put all those Prohibition officers to work doing SOMETHING.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:54 am
Site Admin

Umm... I'm fairly certain all the prohibition officers retired. ;)

...all our farmland is occupied and has been for a long time. You can't up and change what kinda crops you are going to grow without dislocating a lot of business, and with agriculture, that takes time, in addition to cash. In anycase, it's not about whether not we can grow the stuff, it's about the other countries being able to grow more of it, and faster, and cheaper, and sell it for more than anything else they have in abundance. You can't maintain your economic colonies, if you can't keep them poor.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:15 am
Profile YIM WWW

Umm... I'm fairly certain all the prohibition officers retired.

Hilarious. :roll:

Quote:
all our farmland is occupied and has been for a long time.

Not really accurate - a lot of marginal land is unused or underutilized, and marijuana grows quite well on many types of poor farmland. Heck, even illegal weed has given us a $15 billion industry.

Quote:
it's about the other countries being able to grow more of it, and faster, and cheaper, and sell it for more than anything else they have in abundance

As far as protectionism, there are plenty of ways to shield the US economy from imported marijuana without domestic bans, and many of those tricks could be done without breaking WTO regs. If the federal government were to legalize marijuana for medical use, but require that the growing conditions be strictly monitored and regulated, and further more, that the supply be directed through extraordinarily complex and irritating legal channels, we could effectively deny (through obfuscation) legal imports from abroad and quite possibly decrease illegal imports compared to their present volume. Because MJ does have proven negative effects when abused, this would be legal under WTO regs - and we can use the public morality clause too.

The reason marijuana remains illegal has a lot more to do with political inertia than anything else. Given some more time, most democratic-leaning states will probably legalize medical marijuana due to the "stoner special interest group" (especially if the stoners learn to vote more reliably), but a federal change in regs is unlikely.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:44 am
Site Admin

I think you overestimate how organized the legislative branch is, especially in regards to trade laws (it'd be asking a hell of a lot of folk to do a 180), and underestimate the value of the executive branch's ability to dislocate and/or prop up individuals and indeed, entire militaries and governments, using the anti-drug campaign as justification when it chooses to (as well as, sometimes, its funding).

Plus the sheer unwillingness to give into those anti-establishment hippies. Rubbing it into the face of the hippies has become a full-time job for our government! ;)

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I think you overestimate how organized the legislative branch is

I don't disagree with you at all here. It's the disorganization that allows inertia to be such a powerful force in politics.

Quote:
underestimate the value of the executive branch's ability to dislocate and/or prop up individuals and indeed, entire militaries and governments, using the anti-drug campaign as justification when it chooses to

It's definitely a convenient way to engage in otherwise unpopular foreign policy, and I agree that it's unlikely that Presidential leadership will move to change the status quo. However, if Congress did manage to cripple the WoD, the Executive would just find another excuse. Really, in the end, it's the general ineffectiveness of Congress that leads to the inertia of US domestic policy. :D

Quote:
Rubbiing into the face of the hippies has become a full-time job for our government!

There are some really annoying New Age hippies out there. :D

Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:17 pm

newspapers reporting science wrong? no way! I believe everything they say, no matter what. It's not like they aren't biased or get their facts wrong.

Fox News and Anonymous anyone?

Anyways, carrying over laws is OK. In fact, going through the penal code and fixing bad laws would 1) take way too much time and 2) is NOT their job. It would be amazing to see the government organized enough to pull off the stuff you're talking about, and heck they might have even done what you said. However, I find it more likely they were independent of each other or one caused the other. They do so much crap on a daily basis I'm not surprised there's not more coincidental policies.

Just goes to show how ineffective they can be. Fed probably is due for an overhaul someday. Either that or overhaul the average American to stop voting based on 30second soundbites.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next