Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
FIX THE PROBLEM 

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:19 pm
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:34 pm
Profile WWW

Can't we do some upgrades to say the CPU and the RAM?

I guess a better question is why the server is lagging in the first place. Too many boxes on one connection? old hardware? etc.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:47 am

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

tf2 release = no more ns server

DEATH TO FIXXOR!

:lol:

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Q: what is costing the $3k?

I guess a better question is why the server is lagging in the first place. Too many boxes on one connection? old hardware? etc.

I believe it is just old hardware. Like old to the point of not being able to upgrade it any further.

The $3,000 for the new server is what it costs for a chassis with dual quadcore CPU's, 4GB of RAM, & dual Giga-NIC's which from what little I know about running servers seems like plenty to run a server or two off of.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:12 pm
Profile WWW

fixxor..lets you and me donate cash for new server...it could be like the jerry lewis telethon.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:25 pm
Dear Leader

3K is a very good price for the server we're looking at. CPU and RAM upgrades alone won't help any - the server only uses 700 megs of RAM actively out of a total of 2GB. The CPUs are bound to a motherboard with no real upgrade path. You COULD get Athlon MP 2800+ CPUs but you really won't see that much of a difference and they're pretty expensive considering they've been EOL'd for a while now.

The server lags because both the TFC and NS servers together are CPU intensive and both fight for resources along with every other process on the box (Apache, FTP, mail, etc, etc, etc,).

-JP

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 pm
Profile WWW

(Apache, FTP, mail, etc, etc, etc,).

-JP

FTP you say! Mail you say! etc you say!
:twisted:

Also 4GB of ram is a little unbalanced for that server don't ya think? What with all these extra services the box will be running and all.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:44 pm

spellman23 wrote:

3K is a very good price for the server we're looking at. CPU and RAM upgrades alone won't help any - the server only uses 700 megs of RAM actively out of a total of 2GB. The CPUs are bound to a motherboard with no real upgrade path. You COULD get Athlon MP 2800+ CPUs but you really won't see that much of a difference and they're pretty expensive considering they've been EOL'd for a while now.

The server lags because both the TFC and NS servers together are CPU intensive and both fight for resources along with every other process on the box (Apache, FTP, mail, etc, etc, etc,).

-JP

Jiggs, buy a $1,500 server and put the TFC server on it. Problem solved.

--Locane

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:06 am

It would be a waste of money to buy a crappy server for a dying game. Better that he uses the server he has for the dying game, and somehow acquires a new server for his future endeavors, say like tf2 >.>

Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:50 am
Dear Leader

It would be a waste of money to buy a crappy server for a dying game. Better that he uses the server he has for the dying game, and somehow acquires a new server for his future endeavors, say like tf2 >.>

Exactly - One or two of the cores will goto legacy games and a few more will go towards future games. If I can, I'd like to keep everything running in parallel. Also, several remaining cores will goto the other administrators of the panduck box because they throw down a pretty good chunk of change to keep the server going and it's about time they got their own environments. Keeping the server going isn't cheap especially since we're going to be paying for bandwidth and a new server very soon.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 am
Profile WWW

Keeping the server going isn't cheap especially since we're going to be paying for bandwidth and a new server very soon.

Just wanted to throw a thank you your way JP and all the other admins. Lotta of the posts I have read recently have really made me realize the time and effort u guys put in so that i can spend time online with my homies instead of boning and shopping with my girlfriend.

I almost feel guilty the amount of hours I have spent on JP ns server and have never donated a cent. It truly is the only server I play on anymore because it seriously is the last true ns server. Just wanted to put my nose in your crack for a few seconds even though I'll prolly get flamed for doing so but I honestly want you guys to know we appreciate what you do for us.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:52 am

I would concur wholeheartedly with the previous statement

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 am

Earlier I stated that someone wanted to give you a server. I now remember who it was: Gabe (think he goes by Gabe[emo] right now).

Anyways, he just wants to give it away. Is there any way you can just...take it?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next