Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Improving LCD Performance? 

From http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/06/23/Dell_Ultrasharp_2407WFP_monito/3 they claim that the dell has great response time etc. The specs say 6 ms response time. Its just compared to my old CRT, which probably had <1 ms response time its not as good. Fireball, do you constantly bhop? Its just when bhoping I can't see as clearly as on CRT.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:49 pm

I haven't tried it with bhopping (I don't do it consistently) but with other games and when I have times in NS where I'm doing a lot of quick movement and turning, I don't have any shearing or perceptible blur.

P.S. My monitor is 2 ms refresh rate. Just so happened to come with the monitor (I mostly use it for photographic editing)

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Ah, that 2 ms vs 6 ms is a big difference, so that might explain it.

In other news: my monitor, it turns out, is the crappy A00 revision from early 2006, thanks Costco.com! What does this mean? It means that a lot of the bad image I have been seeing is due to color banding! Basically, gradients from say light blue in the top left to blue on the bottom right will have big ugly noticeable transitions.

My friend bought the identical product off costco.com and got the latest A04 revision, which doesn't have the color banding problems. I wonder if there is any way to be sure that they send me the A04 when I return this current POS.
my monitor looks like the middle one.

UPDATE!

It turns out that the monitor I purchased (2407WFP-HC) is equivalent to the A04 revision! That means they sold me the wrong product! IM GONNA SUE THEIR ASS!!! MAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHA!!!!

Or they can just send me the right monitor...I just want the right thing :cry:

Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:20 pm

Also the display problem is usually called ghosting, but i've never noticed it myself. (i have a samsung 906bw)

Your desk is also way too clean :( I'm such a slob.

... want a CRT? I have four you can have.

And yes there are 4 more computers under my desk, i think all of them work. Plus i have a 5th to the side and enough to build a 6th if i had a case =[

Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:09 am

If you read the 100+ fps guide, it's the first step in everything.

Note that you may also see a lot of motion blur depending on how the response time is on your LCD monitor. Skeletor is right in saying that CRT's win out over LCD's in all categories besides bulk and weight, but some LCDs can get pretty close.

--Locane

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:06 am

Zorlac, where did you get your desk? I want it. Now.

--Locane

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:08 am

Ah, that 2 ms vs 6 ms is a big difference, so that might explain it.

In other news: my monitor, it turns out, is the crappy A00 revision from early 2006, thanks Costco.com! What does this mean? It means that a lot of the bad image I have been seeing is due to color banding! Basically, gradients from say light blue in the top left to blue on the bottom right will have big ugly noticeable transitions.

My friend bought the identical product off costco.com and got the latest A04 revision, which doesn't have the color banding problems. I wonder if there is any way to be sure that they send me the A04 when I return this current POS.
my monitor looks like the middle one.

UPDATE!

It turns out that the monitor I purchased (2407WFP-HC) is equivalent to the A04 revision! That means they sold me the wrong product! IM GONNA SUE THEIR ASS!!! MAAHAHAHAAHAAHAHA!!!!

Or they can just send me the right monitor...I just want the right thing :cry:

The monitors I have are Viewsonic VX922's. They have amazing response time, but their contrast ratio isn't great. I honestly don't know what the big deal is with contrast ratio. Black is black, white is white, I don't see any difference between mine and other LCDs.

--Locane

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:10 am
Jigglyroom Admin

The monitors I have are Viewsonic VX922's. They have amazing response time, but their contrast ratio isn't great. I honestly don't know what the big deal is with contrast ratio. Black is black, white is white, I don't see any difference between mine and other LCDs.

I find that contrast ratio is generally not so important to gamers, as gamers typically adjust their display gamma to see better in dark environments. Adjusting the display gamma in this way lowers the effective contrast ratio of the display. For instance:
The one on the left has a much higher contrast ratio, but gamers tend to prefer the one on the right with a worse contrast ratio, as you can see a bit more detail in the darker areas of the image. Many gamers would adjust the gamma (or even the contrast!) of the one on the left to match the one on the right.

Last edited by Skeletor on Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:43 am

skeletor really must be in the pro in the display field

DEATH TO OLDRO

Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:48 am

Anime, you need to turn Vsync off.

If you read the 100+ fps guide, it's the first step in everything.

Note that you may also see a lot of motion blur depending on how the response time is on your LCD monitor. Skeletor is right in saying that CRT's win out over LCD's in all categories besides bulk and weight, but some LCDs can get pretty close.

--Locane

Yeah, I still have vsync forced off, I read the guide (its really been helpful thx :wink: ). I think my issues right now are the 6 ms response time causing the ghosting and the A00 revision causing fugly textures in game with crappy color banding (also ruining my beautiful HD movies). Why is it that it is impossible to talk to a human these days? I just want to talk to a costco.com representative; I'm still waiting for a reply to the "support email" I was forced to send :x

Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Zorlac, where did you get your desk? I want it. Now.

--Locane

Its custom made for a recording studio, all 19" Rack mount.
Its yours if you come pick it up, absolutely no joke. I'm in the bay area, and if you can drive over here and take it away its yours for FREE. This thing is way too huge for me

Refrence: http://www.msgill.net/pub/desk/

That goes the same for anyone else here. Monitors too.

Locane wrote:

--Locane

There is a HUGE difference btween my DC 2000:1 (700:1 Static) contrast ratio on my LCD and my laptop. The whites on the laptops screen you notice have a pink hue when you compare it to the slightly blueish hue of the LCD. Also any color that is very washed out displays INTENSELY differnt monitor to monitor. To the point where its obvious on one monitor and i can't see it on the other. I'm not sure if this is due to the contrast ratio, or the brightness (300 cd/m2

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Wow, I did some web surfing and found some test pattern images for LCDs. The results on mine were not very comforting:

(You can click on any of these images for the full size version)

In this image, you should be able to distinguish all 32 color bands from each other and the background.

On my monitors, they lose it at about 28~29, and I see solid color from there. I also can't distinguish the first two blacks from each other in all the colors.

This image is for DVI hookups ONLY - the squares in row 2.2 should blend in.

None of these blend for me, but I'm using DVI->Vga conversion with the splitter.

This image should have all of the sqaures in row 2.2 blending in if you're using a VGA hookup instead of DVI.

Mine don't blend at all, on any of the rows :(

This one I left in .png format because it has an exact color that cannot be generated in JPG. This is a viewing angle test, it should change as little as possible as you move your head to the left and right.

On my monitors, it goes from brilliant purple to a light magenta at extreme angles. Alas, the price one pays for 2ms response time :(

All of these images are (C) Han-Kwang Neinhuys from http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ . They are not my own.

--Locane

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:51 pm

Its custom made for a recording studio, all 19" Rack mount.
Its yours if you come pick it up, absolutely no joke. I'm in the bay area, and if you can drive over here and take it away its yours for FREE. This thing is way too huge for me

I live in Seattle, or I would come get it. I need a bigger desk. I've been looking for one that's mostly kidney-shaped, but what I really want is more table than desk. No drawers, no frills, just a wide, flat surface on which I can work and put stuff.

:(

--Locane

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:54 pm

The top part comes off for INSANE ammounts of desk space. Come get it, please?

I don't feel extremely reassured by my monitor from these tests, the gamma test i fail pretty miserably and i can't see 30-32 color bands.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:40 pm

what part of the bay?

Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next