Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
100+ FPS Guide 

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 pm

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 pm

Wow, TF2 is shiny.... maybe I should get it ...

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:11 am
Site Admin

Looks real good, so long as you don't move or turn. :roll:

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Classic mouse filtering problem, yep. :lol:

Well, after playing with it again, I've concluded that it may actually be tearing more at 125, but for whatever reason, that's the only framerate setting I can put it at that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out... too much. The other ones feel like I'm playing at 30-45 fps for some reason. With vsync on, there is a noticeable lag to all my movements. Bunnyhopping becomes impossible, and I feel like I'm drunk.

The moral of the story is, don't game on an LCD.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:16 am

Thoth, on rivatuner it installs a separate program called d3doverrider. try it.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:26 am

Well, after playing with it again, I've concluded that it may actually be tearing more at 125, but for whatever reason, that's the only framerate setting I can put it at that doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out... too much. The other ones feel like I'm playing at 30-45 fps for some reason. With vsync on, there is a noticeable lag to all my movements. Bunnyhopping becomes impossible, and I feel like I'm drunk.

No, I Know exactly what you're talking about, and I don't think it's your LCD. I think I remember having this trouble on my CRT too.

I have to play up on 125 too, if I'm down at 60, or god forbid 105, it feels like I'm moving through molasses and I don't move nearly as fast.

I recently did an fps_max 1000 and now it runs up somewhere around 170 and then back down to 90 in really heavy spots, but it seems to be smoother than 125. I'm still kind of experimenting with it, but it worked well enough for me to forget that I had set it up that high.

--Locane

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:16 am
Jigglyroom Admin

Thing is, I don't remember having any problems playing with vsync on when I used my CRT. Had a constant 85 FPS back then, bunny hopping worked great, game felt smooth... Even now, with vsync on, it looks quite smooth at the requisite 60 fps, but it's totally unplayable. With it off, though, anything but 125 is horrible.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:42 am

My 2ms Samsung is fine

Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 pm

no, just don't play a gldsrc game on an LCD. All that stuff happens because of the way the engine calculates things. try changning your fps up to like 300-400 . . . you practically float around (like you can jump like 1.3 times as far). I've made scripts that changed my fps when i switched weapons so i could get the fastest actual fire rate for each gun, changed it down when i fired my pistol, and then uncapped it whenever i was in the air so airstrafing would be more effective. most of those were pretty uneffective in real play(i never really used them) because they were too clunky, but they were still a cool experiement.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:28 pm
Site Admin

It maybe ye need to turn on the Tripple Buffer, as otherwise, whenever yer FPS drops even slightly below the monitor's refresh rate, you lose a messload of frames - that maybe what is causing it not to play smooth in vsync mode.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Well if it is a screen shot that's an instantaneous dump from the frame buffer. You have some video card issues, not monitor issues.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:40 pm
Site Admin

Works fine in FF, Half-life2, and Portal, in addition to all the non-steam games and graphic demos I have. *shrug*

Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

If anything, triple buffering made it worse. My understanding of the issue is just that the monitor has to delay something like 20-30 milliseconds waiting on the frames before it will send them with vsync on. It may just be that my LCD isn't good enough, but either way, I simply can not play NS with vsync on my LCD.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:36 pm
Site Admin

Well, normally with Vsync on, if the FPS ever drops anything below the refresh rate, it has to do so in divisions of two. So if you have 100Hz refresh, and the FPS drops to 99 for some reason, you get 50fps. If it drops to 49FPS, you get 25fps, and so on... Tripple buffering keeps three extra frames in memory so that dun happen.

Obviously from this thread, however, nothing works as well in practice as on paper.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next