Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
100+ FPS Guide 

I somehow don't think mouse filtering is causing this:

Man, I found this, hope helps. Also check the GPU temp.

Problems with Triple Buffering

It may seem odd that if Triple Buffering resolves the problem of low framerates when VSync is enabled, it doesn't appear as a standard option in many games, or in the Direct3D-related settings of the Nvidia or ATI graphics control panel. There are three main concerns that appear to be the reason behind this:

1. If it is not properly supported by the game in question, it can cause visual glitches. Just as tearing is a visual glitch caused by information being transferred too fast in the buffers for the monitor to keep up, so too in theory, can triple buffering cause visual anomalies, due to game timing issues for example.

2. It uses additional Video RAM, and hence can result in problems for those with less VRAM onboard their graphics card. This is particularly true for people who also want to use very high resolutions with high quality textures and additional effects like Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering, since this takes up even more VRAM for each frame. Enabling Triple Buffering on a card without sufficient VRAM results in things like additional hitching (slight pauses) when new textures are being swapped into and out of VRAM as you move into new areas of a game. You may even get an overall performance drop due to the extra processing on the graphics card for the extra Tertiary buffer.

reference: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:32 pm
Site Admin

It's only TF2 that's doing it, so I've just kinda written it off as a loss. (I've more or less written off the whole game anyways.)

Meh, I've tried it with and without the tripple buffering (which is a standard option on the nVidia panel - although for direct X it's called "render ahead X frames") - but it does the same thing either way. Tis an 8800GT OC with 512MB of vRam, so I dun think that'd be an issue.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:25 am

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:17 pm

So, I followed this guide a while ago and got my fps up to 100 (I'm going to experiment with other higher ones later). However, in the meantime, I stopped playing NS for a while, updated drivers a few times, etc. Anyway, my fps is back to being capped at 60. I have forced global v_sync off, set fps_max 100, and no dice. Suggestions? (I have a 7600 gt)

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:49 am

I couldn't wish of getting 100+ FPS at all times, my computer simply doesn't have the power it needs for that... It's not my settings, its my computer that costed like $200-300 (including the monitor).

Its ok tho, i usually get 60-80 FPS normally and about 20-30 fps if there is a huge turret farm (like 20-30 turrets in one spot) or if there are 10-12 marines on my screen shooting all at once...

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:04 am

I have since fixed my issues. Additionally, I found this great guide (linked to by the NS Dojo), on the NS Forums:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/ind ... =97790&hl=

And Locane, that thread has that picture you were looking for:
http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ps21io.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7928/lmgrofal1.gif

Sooo, it looks like my 125 is the most optimized after all!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:00 am

I have since fixed my issues. Additionally, I found this great guide (linked to by the NS Dojo), on the NS Forums:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/ind ... =97790&hl=

And Locane, that thread has that picture you were looking for:
http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ps21io.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7928/lmgrofal1.gif

Sooo, it looks like my 125 is the most optimized after all!

How did you fix your capped framerate? It was vsync, wasn't it?

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:37 am

Well, I've had vsync off all along. But the problem just seemed to...disappear. Very strange. I was getting capped at 60 as if vsync was on. I noticed that if I started my own server (by launching NS directly from my games) I would have the correct fps, but if I jumped in via the server page, it wouldn't work. Now it works both ways... :shock:

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 am

Well, I've had vsync off all along. But the problem just seemed to...disappear. Very strange. I was getting capped at 60 as if vsync was on. I noticed that if I started my own server (by launching NS directly from my games) I would have the correct fps, but if I jumped in via the server page, it wouldn't work. Now it works both ways... :shock:

You mean it just fixed itself? You didn't do anything? lol

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:52 am

AnimeLOL wrote:

You mean it just fixed itself? You didn't do anything? lol

As the saying goes, 99% of the problems of a computer are fixed by restarting...

sometimes you have to restart alot apparently :P.

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 am

Yeah, I think I may have cycled my computer once in the interim between working and failing, so maybe you're right. In other news, where did the Jigglyroom go?!?!

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7