Poll ended at Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:57 am
Yes 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8

The Dojo 
Site Admin

you can pub comm you nub :roll:
More than most Cal comms can do.

Always funny to watch those Cal/Tac comms squirm with rage when they can't figure out why only 2 marines are following waypoints. - Not to mention alien "strategies" blowing their narrow minds. ;)

Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW

ya, someone was running clan strats a couple days ago

no nades

people were beside themselves, and people sorta weren't following orders so much pwnage of marines ensued

Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:05 pm
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

Hi, I'm TAK, I diss people's ability to start playing competitively while refusing to do so myself. It might be because I'm afraid of being shamed if I did so, or it might be because I like being at the top of the Pub bracket. and don't want to move up to where I'll get rocked. Either way, I feel confident enough in my own knowledge/ability to discourage other people from going comp, because if I am as good as I am and am still afraid, they will totally get rocked and cry to their mothers. By discouraging them I get to feel good about helping them while simultaneously pumping my own ego.

I also get the added benefit of crusading against mediocre competitive people that play in pubs. When they play in pubs they are really good, but since I've seen some of the light I know that I can fairly safely assume that they're just here to get a break from getting rocked. I'm safe in my position because I have played some competitive NS, so I have a set of skills that pure pub people don't, but I only really play in pubs so I can feel better about dominating there.

Its a really rough draft, but I think its a start.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:53 pm

I could have been in a vet clan if I wanted... Back in the veteran glory days

[edit]
let me rephrase: I was on the roster but unable to play due to my shitty connection... I let someone else on the team get the vet icon.
[/edit]

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:21 pm

i really don't care, and i really dont dislike you, im just sick of hearing your shit.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:08 am
Site Admin

Hi, I'm TAK, I diss people's ability to start playing competitively while refusing to do so myself. It might be because I'm afraid of being shamed if I did so, or it might be because I like being at the top of the Pub bracket. and don't want to move up to where I'll get rocked. Either way, I feel confident enough in my own knowledge/ability to discourage other people from going comp, because if I am as good as I am and am still afraid, they will totally get rocked and cry to their mothers. By discouraging them I get to feel good about helping them while simultaneously pumping my own ego.

No, I'm fairly certain that's my reasoning. I figure TAK's reasoning, is that he didn't want to deal with the BS that he'd get trying to comm you OA guys. ;)

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW

OA != competitive

Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:00 pm
Site Admin

Oh yer competitive alright. Tis just you don't always all seem to be competing towards the same goal. ;)

That Annoying Kid wrote:
no nades

Yeah, I think we've maybe 2 marines on the whole roster that can kill skulks dancing around RT's without a grenade. I don't even get how you are supposed to do that. >< I can't hit squat through a marine res node - and less than squat through an alien one (which are doubly lovely, since they block yer fire when you stand near them). I'm not l337 enough to simply round the node and kill the effer point blank, without a shotgun (and shotguns don’t register fer sh*t for me, so even then…).

Toss grenade in, shoot what’s left of skulk, no problem. Plus vents – jeeze, whaddya gonna do about vents without grenades? Man I remember the hell those were before grenades… Toss a grenade down the effers throat, and if he does come out afterwards, he’s an easy kill.

Not to mention SC with no grenades = death. 10 res, and every marine gets two free on-demand scans.

About 40% of my kills at 5 minutes in any given game are either grenade or grenade aided. After that, I’ll admit, they start to get useless, since anything that’s not a skulk seems more or less immune to them, but those first 5 minutes is when the game is decided. Pisses me the hell off when a commander gets grenades at 8 minutes in and lords it over you how they aren’t helping you any. (#$&*@&!!!)

It is true I see people mis-use grenades though. A lot of people think Grenades still do double damage against structures. Shotgun rushers, on entering a hive, will often open up with their grenades first (which do less than half the damage the shotgun does, and fire a hell of a lot more slowly). I’ll see similar stupidity when dealing with OC’s and the like. But come ‘on – 10 res and everyone gets a free weapon (even if it is the George W. Bush school of resupply) – is there any more cost-effective expenditure in the game?
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari of the Centauri, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"
Thothie

Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Jigglyroom Admin

Superhero comms expect to have superhero soldiers who don't die. If marines aren't dying then the 10 res upgrade is worthless, because the marines will never respawn and have grenades.

The other theory is that they want an advanced armory and the time spent getting hand grenades isn't worth it for them.

Early mine packs seem pretty cheap though. And with weapon upgrades, they continue to do significant damage. I have too much to say about mines.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:24 pm
Site Admin

Tis true, if you don't die, ya don't get grenades (Again, GW method of resupply - HATE THAT). But that's rarely a problem on Jigglies.

Save in very tiny games / JP rush, it seems upgrading the armory early is almost always worthless though. I'm sure this, also, is not true if you have a l337 crew.

Issue with mines it that it requires you have marines that know where to place them. Lately, we've had a fair amount of marines that can get them to the other side of phase gates (kinda new, and handy, since turreting is so expensive/time consuming). Not so much luck on good base defense placement though, lest you got cash for a ton. Even with phase gates, I wind up sending 10-30 res on the same gate cuz nubs wander off with mines, but that's still cheaper and faster than turret farming.
“Of course, it is possible for any citizen with time to spare, and a canny eye, to work out what is actually going on, but for the many there is not time, and the network news is the only news even though it may not be news at all but only a series of flashing fictions...” — Gore Vidal
Thothie

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW

i know a LOT of comp comms that get nades.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:45 pm

neg. they don't get them as soon as the drop the armory, but after an rt or two. they're not top priority, but if the 10 res is there any good commander recognizes their use.

rarely does the aa get rushed, because that res is better spent on pgs and upgrades that will be ready for the 2nd hive battle . . . unless you're planning on not taking the 2nd hive, you probably wont need aa. 2 a1 w2 shotties with medpacks and welders can hold back a 1 chamber 2 hive fade, so hmgs are a waste of money until all 3 scs go up. at that point you've got bad odds unless you have tons of res (which means you'll have gotten aa anyway), so there's no point in sacrificing w2 for earlier aa.

there are definitely aa rush strats though, but in a standard pg a1 strat aa usually isn't a primary concern.

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Thanks for the protip, I didn't know / hadn't seen any of that

Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Well, TAK dissing aside, I have now learned that competitive comming is completely different from pub comming. I mean, I knew it was going to be somewhat different, but I'm talking more than tactics: complete strategy overhaul :? .

Oh well, I've been pubbing my whole life, so I'll just have to get used to it if I decide to continue scrimming and stuff (thanks Beowulf, you've been really helpful :) ).

On a side note, I'm going to make another thread about pumping performance out of an LCD, cuz, I just bought myself a Dell 24" monitor (sex), but it performs badly in NS (can barely see anything bhoping now).

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next