Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

I have the entire Evangelion collection sitting here begging for me to get rid of if you're interested. It's the original Region 1 release (8 DVD box, + the two movies death and rebirth and End of Evangelion)

I'd drop it for $50 + actual shipping/handling.

Watched it once, know I'll never watch it again (not a big mech anime person) Been sitting on my DVD shelf ever since.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:05 pm
Profile ICQ

evangelion is one of those series you need to watch like 4 times to understand, and everytime you notice more shit you didn't notice before.

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:14 am

Probably, but it doesn't change the fact that I have no use for my copy =P

Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Well... To feed the inner nerd, as it were...

Far too long to read anime review #... what was it in the old forums... #16?

Space Symphony Maetel
Matricidal Romance, in Space
Genre: Sci-Fi / Nostalgia
Viewed Episodes: 13/13
Rating: (Testosterone boy: 3.75/5, Romantagoth: 2.75/5 Stars)
Parents: Fairly safe
Best Fansub: AonE&F-B&L-E ( also Anime-Suki )

If you were into Captain Harlock or Galaxy Railways, this new series taking place in the same universe would be a must, but beware that you do not see much of Harlock and his crew, for as the title suggests, this story is about Maetel - well Maetel and her mom, in anycase.

If you were not into said, this may still have some appeal if you are in the mood for a cheesy sci-fi 70's style space romp with a sprinkling of absurd tragedy, but it'll likely be a guilty pleasure. (I know it was for me.)

Basically this is a fairytale story of the princess coming to overthrow the wicked queen (a sexual inversion on the classic fool's progression journey, as it were). Maetel's mother, Queen Promethium, in a desperate move to save her people from extinction when their planet is separated from its sister planet and sun, orders her people to undergo cybernetic reconstruction. While this extreme measure saves her people from the freezing darkness, she becomes obsessed with mechanical perfection as a result, and soon seeks to force the whole of the universe into this cold existence, be they willing or not. Before falling to the seduction of this madness, however, she sends her two daughters away, and, foreseeing her fate, tells one of them, "If I ever fall completely to the machine, you must promise me this: kill me."

Space Symphony Maetel is the story of that daughter's sorrowful return.

It would have been nice to see some more dimension in our head villainess, if not, indeed, in characters in general. It would be nice if they would take into account that anyone old enough to remember Captain Harlock, would likely be in their 30's or 40's by now, and grown past that childhood stage where villains of pure evil, for whom you can have no sympathy, have appeal. Indeed, it looked, at first, as though they were going to explore some shades of gray, and our heroes, at least, do commit a few atrocious acts, but in the end, in a sort of conflicted manner, they opt out of trying to add any depth to the conflict and go back to that prepubescent world of black and white.

It also would have been nice if it had been about half as long - but I suppose six episodes is too short for anything but an OVA.

Unlike most of these nostalgia remakes, the animation manages to retain the organic nature of the older series, even with the CGI mixed in. The characters, also, are all true to the previous series of the Harlock universe. All your favorite characters have cameo's here, and the new characters follow the old clichés, right down to that annoying impetuous brat with the huge maw who is so painfully central to this tale.

I must say Maetel's mom has some serious MILF'age going... But never let her shower at your place - no amount of Draino will ever unclog your tub afterwards! :|

Other anime: Lady X and friends are STILL watching NANA for our monthly gatherings (had to do a few twice due to schedule conflicts). It is actually turning out pretty good. We've also picked up Death Note, recently, as a result of a visit to AnimeExpo, and it's a delicious little tid bit of thriller, I must say. More on those some other time I suppose.
"I'll keep walking along that endless track named destiny. I'm positive that my final destination is connected to the future. That's what I believe, and for that I will continue to fight. Even as time continues to pass and my body decays, my thoughts will never vanish. My name is Maetel, and I'll keep moving through space, for this heartless battle." - Princess Maetel on her endless Amtrak voyage
Thothie

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:20 am
Profile YIM WWW

Death Note just finished like...two weeks ago. Was really good until a certain point(It will be obvious which point, so I won't have to give up anything) then it slowly went downhill in my eyes. NANA is on my list of stuff to watch, glad to hear it is actually entertaining 8-)

I wanted to attend AnimeExpo, but as I have no friends into anime, it wouldn't really be feasible. Few hour drive to the convention, would of had to get a hotel and blah blah blah. At least Comic-Con is pretty damn close, going all four days 8-)

Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Attention Whore! Look at meeeeeeeeee!

Yeah scouts is a fucking weaboo to the max, I really don't like to encourage him.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:37 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't even scraped my maximum potential of weabooism. Wormbo thinks that just watching anime makes you a full blown otaku, which is a view I hope most others don't share. But I think I'm going to start tapping the power of the inner weaboo soon, see how awesome I can become.

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

freakin homosexuals and your japanese shit

Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:28 pm

I haven't even scraped my maximum potential of weabooism. Wormbo thinks that just watching anime makes you a full blown otaku, which is a view I hope most others don't share. But I think I'm going to start tapping the power of the inner weaboo soon, see how fat and lazy I can become.

fixed.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Too long to read review #17 (cuz disk scans take forevah)
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles
ZOMG it’s Robotech!
Genre: Sci-Fi / Big Bots / Nostalgia
Viewed Episodes: (Pilot)
Rating: Testosterone boy: 3.0/5 (1.5 if you are not a HUGE Robotech fan), Romantagoth: 0.25/5 Stars
Parents: Fairly Safe (Some peeps die, but clean, v. mild innuendo)

Well, remember all the positive things I said about Maetel? This is probably an example of the same concept, gone horribly wrong. You have to be a HUGE Robotech fan to appreciate this one. I saw it with three people who were long time protoculture addicts, and even we all had to groan a lot. I’m sure if, on the off chance, they make more, we’ll see them, and may even pay for them to encourage the franchise – but we won’t like it – and I suspect the new Harmony Gold conglomerate is depending on our willingness to get any scraps of our youth we can, regardless of their quality.

The Shadow Chronicles begin at the end of the Invid Invasion, just as Scott Bernard and his band of rebels are breaking into Reflex Point, and as Admiral Hunter is returning with his Robotech Expedition Force, and S3 uber-nukes, to put an end to the threat, one way or another, once and for all. But not all is as it seems, for the wheels of fate are turning, previously unseen, shadowy forces are beginning to show their hands, and it seems the human-invid conflict may have all been the orchestrated plan of some stronger, more sinister and mysterious foe. (One apparently not constrained by the laws of continuity.)

I suppose the easiest thing to make fun of is the 1990’ish CGI computer animation coupled with cell animation who’s bulk quality is just below that of the original X-men series. Yeah, this whole show is incredibly stiff, and incredibly ugly. All in all pretty bloody painful to look at. (video clip pending puter restoration) I have, in fact, seen fan-produced Robotech CGI animations that were vastly superior to this. If this was a fan produced show, I might be somewhat impressed, but it was in fact, corporate produced, and they spent close to a million bucks on it. (No idea where that money actually went.)

The one good thing they do have, that no fan production ever could, is the original voice cast. Most all of the original English Robotech vocal cast is here. Granted, most of their characters are dead, as this is the third generation, so most of them are playing new characters. It’s been about 20 years since they last worked on the project, so conveniently enough those characters who did survive, have about the right amount of extra age in their voice. Sadly, their acting prowess has not improved, and the newer actors they have on are even worse.

If you followed Robotech: The Sentinels, you will find several cross-overs from that series here. However, the lack of continuity will become even more glaring.

The movie-length pilot seems to give us the taste of yet another round of super-evil villain who will no doubt eventually be turned by the power of the “spirit of humanity” somehow, someway. This time the villain is mechanical, but given what we have going on in the new Battlestar Galactica, the method of conversion is rather obvious, and they do indeed already have a hybrid human femme-bot who will no doubt be the catalyst for the inevitable cliché.

This is just, really, horribly bad. Strictly for truly dedicated fans of the original series. If you want a REAL Robotech experience, with some serious quality, you’ll probably want to look into Macross Zero which, unlike this, looks like a seriously friggen awesome piece of work fit for any big bot fan.
"The awareness did not forsee this!" – Evil Alien #3
"This ‘awareness’, he does not live up to his name." – Lady X & Mr. P – at the same time
Thothie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW

since were talking about anime anyone peep on scouts new avatar

fail

Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Aww, I like my new avatar. I'm just sad it's not animooted.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:46 pm
Profile WWW

yeah, well my american avatar can beat ur japanese avatar's ass any day of the week.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:45 am

aw man, unless I'm blind, ppl missed a very good one

Full Metal Alchemist
Awesome story, some of the best character development and 3D personas, albeit a weak ending. Set in a world where instead of technology we have alchemy, we follow the travels of two brothers as they try to fix a wrong they committed in their past.

Also,
GunGrave
Set in a quasi future setting, it's a Godfather of anime as we follow two friends in their rise and trials within the syndicate.

Also, a few other classics that should be thrown out there:
Trigun
Futuristic western. Minus the technology. Sorta? Still awesome and don't let the first few episodes fool you into thinking it's all comedy.

El Hazard: The Magnificent World
Kinda gimpy, but a classic people should see at least once. Gotta love time paradoxes, giant bugs, and gaining superpowers by going to another dimension. =]

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:47 am

tenjo tenji had tons of potential, as well as FMPF

-__-

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next