Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

Thoth, you should keep watching it. Like I said, the beginning episodes are a little rocky, but it does progress. It's no Cowboy Beebop, but it's definitely a cut above DBZ.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Gurren Laagen is unique in that aspect. It really does progress much farther than most other anime. You follow the thread of the main character from his very small roots, all the way to the end.

It's sort of a study in life, actually. I know that sounds silly, but seeing the progression of someone from childhood to newly adult to older adult in 27 or so episodes is pretty cool. It's not often that you get that opportunity.

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 pm
Site Admin

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think Gurren Laagen is unique in that aspect. It really does progress much farther than most other anime. You follow the thread of the main character from his very small roots, all the way to the end.

It's sort of a study in life, actually. I know that sounds silly, but seeing the progression of someone from childhood to newly adult to older adult in 27 or so episodes is pretty cool. It's not often that you get that opportunity.

That's hardly unusual in Anime. Juuni Kokki and Monster probably do it best, but it's a pretty common theme, maybe more recently demonstrated in Jyu Oh Sei, but it's also been done in a least a few dozen other bad anime, and likely in dozens more I've yet to see.

It kinda became a core theme in some of the very first anime, such as those in the Harlock universe, but those skipped large sections, and had the surreal effect of the younger selves constantly locking in battle with their elder selves.

There are few themes I can think of more popularly used in anime, although, of course, "little guy defeats big guy" comes to mind - they seem to have some sort of "issue" going there, those crazy Japanese. ;)
"The Reverend Mother must combine the seductive wiles of a courtesan with the untouchable majesty of a virgin goddess, holding these attributes in tension so long as the powers of her youth endure. For when youth and beauty have gone, she will find that the place-between, once occupied by tension, has become a wellspring of cunning and resourcefulness." - St. Alia-of-the-Knife, Dune
Thothie

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:28 am
Profile YIM WWW

There are few themes I can think of more popularly used in anime, although, of course, "little guy defeats big guy" comes to mind - they seem to have some sort of "issue" going there, those crazy Japanese. ;)

You mean WE (humans in general) seem to have an issue with that theme. It's so much nicer to believe in things that are statistically impractical.

Also, I've started watching Naruto again because I've run out of good anime.

YOU HAVE ALL FAILED ME

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 pm

I just found a video converting utility that converts my naruto episodes into something my xbox can play!

83" Naruto on a 7.1 surround sound system? YES I THINK SO.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:28 pm

Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Oh MAN!

I just found a video converting utility that converts my naruto episodes into something my xbox can play!

83" Naruto on a 7.1 surround sound system? YES I THINK SO.

...why would you willingly subject yourself to naruto? The filler, my god, the filler.

Sounds like you liked Gurrenn lagann. Here's another completely unrelated suggestion, Soul Eater. It's "only" 52 episodes long, with interesting characters, unique art style, decent story, and best of all, an ending. It even has a narutoesque character, BLACKA STARUH

Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 pm
Site Admin

Just noticed that Gurren Lagann is now on Hulu (in Engrish).

...It's almost like those guys are reading this thread or something. >_>

Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:44 am
Profile YIM WWW

[quote="Saint Thoth"]Just noticed that Gurren Lagann is now on Hulu (in Engrish).

...It's almost like those guys are reading this thread or something. >_>

Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:11 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Well, whichever one of you has the 200 Hulu smurf accounts arguing with one another as to the authenticity of anime and ye old sub vs. dubs debate, please stop it - it's disturbing.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 am
Profile YIM WWW

What is this /b/ that all the kids seem to be talking about?

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Thoth, oh great god of the Ibis...

You're better off not knowing... Actually let me rephrase that, we're better off with you not knowing.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:13 am

Locane wrote:
Thoth, oh great god of the Ibis...

You're better off not knowing... Actually let me rephrase that, we're better off with you not knowing.

Seconded.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:22 pm
Profile ICQ

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:29 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

Hey I'm curious too, I wanna now, TELL ME NOW!

Morning Wood Lumber Co. "Hard wood is Happy wood!"

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm starting to think that it generally refers to the 4chan forums.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next