Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

Bringing it back since it was my go-to location for anime recomendations anytime I was running short. I'll kick it off with a list of Anime I actually own, which makes it stuff I'd recommend off-hand to almost anybody.

In no particular order, and now with Worlds Worst Descriptions(tm)!:

Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II
Sci-fi (mechless) anime. One of my personal favorites. It does suffer from a god-awful dub though Probably one of the worst I've ever heard. GSS (great story short) the main character is a human male who joins the military of the occupying force of his planet, the abh (alien space elves ;D). He meets the other main character and the story basically follows them and their issues etc.

Record of Lodoss War:
Fantasy, inspired by D&D. If you like D&D and/or Fantasy anime in general, you need to check it out. Animation isn't the best, but the story is worth it IMO.

Cowboy Bebop:
You should know what this is by now. It's been on adult swim since like 2000.

Outlaw Star:
Another one that I caught on to from Adult Swim. Mechless Sci-fi about a rag tag group in search of a big treasure.

Noir:
Female assassins man. 2-season series that could've been done as 1. Still consider it a good watch.

Escaflowne:
Another one you should know about by now.

Jukki Konni (The twelve Kingdoms):
I'll let black sun come around and fill this one in, as I can only blaspheme it ;)

Irresponsible Captain Tylor:
Sci-fi Comedy. Older siers, but great. Well worth the watch.

.hack//sign (the original):
Anime basically about an MMO. Plot does suffer in some points because it was a mass media release (big video game series etc.) Story is about a character that can't logout.

Neon Genesis Evangelion:
On most of Japan's top3 anime of all time list. Old-school mecha anime.
I watched it once, thought it was good, but it's not something I'd watch again. So if you know anybody that wants the entire series (including movies) it's taking up a crapjack of space on my shelf and I'd let it go on the cheap.

Witch Hunter Robin:
Too tired to make a badly worded preview. Go watch it yourself ;)

Other Non-Anime-related DVD sets I own:

Farscape - Great true sci-fi series.

SeaQuest DSV S1 - old 1995 sci-fi show about a submarine called the seaquest. The guy from Jaws was the lead in it.

Firefly - If you haven't seen this 13-ep TV series (from the creator of buffy/angel) you need to get yourself out to any major DVD outlet and pick up the boxed set, which can be had for under $40. Great great sci-fi that's mostly about Humans in space in the near future (no aliens). The movie Serenity (also a great Sci-fi watch) is based on this TV series.

Battlestar Gallactica -
Military Drama with a sci-fi setting. Great show in general, though I'm of the opinion that the earlier seasons were better than the present stuff. Currently airing on Sci-Fi sunday nights with The Dresden Files (which I also enjoy).

Feel free to fill in my descriptions with something worth reading, I just wanted to seed this ;)

Last edited by Spyder on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:32 pm
Profile ICQ

My giant list of things I want to see liscensed for US release:
Banner of the Stars III OVA. (Released in japan in Aug'05)

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:35 pm
Profile ICQ

A good anime I've stumbled across is NHK ni Yokoso! or in english welcome to the NHK. College dropout that has developed an isolationist personality weird things insue with his paranoia (ie. talking fridge and toaster) Kinda crazy but good none the less.

The anime Code Geass has mechs and other stuff. Just watch the first few episodes I'm too tired to post potential spoils.

Futakoi Alternative an anime based in a weird town of twins. Centered on a guy who inherited a detective agency and guest stars the Squid Nazi Klan.
Note: The first episode is deceiving in that the series is not entirely action which the first episode is.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge an anime based off a manga I believe. Anyways described as a girl manga but if you like anime like puni puni poemi or excel saga. You'll probably like this. (Note: made by the guy who made those anime hence the relation.)

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:57 pm

The anime Code Geass has mechs and other stuff. Just watch the first few episodes I'm too tired to post potential spoils.

Thats a good anime, been watching since the first episode and I like it very much.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 am
Site Admin

Not enough time to go over the all time greatest... But it's been slim pickins for me lately, so I'll give a capsule of what I'm currently looking over:

Can't seem to get myself to resume Ergo Proxy. Started out as something vaguely Issac Asimov. Devolved into goth chick following nerdy Bruce Banner around while he "finds himself". They killed off or otherwise destroyed all the characters I liked. That having been said, here's what I've been onto instead...

Black Lagoon - Another random download. This falls, more or less, into the "chicks who kick ass" anime, but unlike most of those, this one's almost believable. The chick in this one is not a nice, nor honorable, nor cute gal by any stretch of the imagination: she's a blood thirsty hired killer. She's also not unbelievably showcased (save in the opening titles), or even absolutely central to the story. The lead character is, rather, our young "in the wrong place at the wrong time" Japanese sarrary man, who's about to find he has a bit of a shark in his soul that maybe even more frightening than the blood thirsty mercenaries that he's just gotten mixed up with. The setting itself is also at least set in the, somewhat plausible, modern day corporate underworld of para-military dirty deeds (thank you, Bush, for legalizing all that). I've only seen the first two episodes though, and it may simply devolve into some sort of modern-day pirate flick.

NANA - Is Lady X's current monthly ceiling series. I've only seen the first episode, but the animation quality is nice. Not entirely sure what's going on, but it's shaping up to be "nice innocent girl out on her own for the first time meets goth chick and falls in love." One of those lesbians for lesbians flicks, I suspect, but those aren't all bad.

When we've been on our own, we're still watching Windy Tales that I mentioned prior to the great forum crash of 07 (see Anime News), and which, again I warn, is intended for very young children, but is interesting in its own way, and has some truly wiggly animation.

Sentou Yousei Yukikaze - This is by FAR the most likely to appeal the anime vets of Jigglyroom crew. This near future, high tech-fighter jet military sci-fi series has lovely CGI-cell hybrid scenes, and is fairly mature, given the material. Seems that aliens invaded with their own fighters, through an inter-dimensional rift in Antarctica, but were rather inept, as they were defeated about a decade before our story begins, and now mankind has traveled across the rift to the alien's home world to give them a good beating there. No one has actually ever seen these aliens, however (I guess they've been sending unmanned drone-fighters), and our emotionally drained protagonist, who seems to have an unnatural attachment to his fighter-jet's silent AI, is about to discover these aliens have some strange psychic powers and perhaps a spiritual connection to him he had never thought possible with one of his own kind.

There is some Top Gun'ish male bonding going on here, but so long as it doesn't break into all out Yaoi, I think we can deal with it. Only seen the first, 50 minute episode though.

When on my own, I've also started watching the, previously ignored, anime classic Blue Gender. Although it's a guilty pleasure at best, if you liked the third generation of Robotech, you'll love this. It's basically the same thing: Earth infested with aliens after the humans loose the war, badly. Our space-borne heros come in with their mecha to kick some blue-blooded butt only to get their asses handed to them, and the story centers on the few survivors of the expedition. This has a much more "adult edge", ie. lots of violence and some sex thrown in for good measure. Main characters are a hardened, emotionless lifetime space soldier, and the late 21st century sleeper she has to get back to the space colonies (for some reason). Their stories unfold as they are forced to go trekking across this hazardous, post-apocalyptic world. Seen the first 7 episodes, and I can say it's not all that bad for an older bulk anime, and a must see for the mech fans, no doubt. This is widely available in English (not a terrible dub either). Not so legal dual-language DVD rips are done well by [ZX], if you want to sample ahead of time.

Last edited by Saint Thoth on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:20 am
Profile YIM WWW

I saw blue gender when it was on Adult swim a few years back. It starts out good but after something like 10 eps it pretty much goes to crap IMO.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:29 pm
Profile ICQ

What, an anime thread without Scouts? I shall not let this continue!

Eureka Seven
I have to say this is one of the better animes I have seen in quite a while. It has everything you can ever want: destruction, sex, giant robots, and a chick with blue hair. Most of you will be thinking it's just another giant robot anime, but I assure you, IT HAS GIANT ROBOTS. Besides that, it has a very engrossing storyline which always leaves you wanting more.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:38 pm
Profile WWW

Didn't it end awhile ago? I use to watch it, then got tired of it, its on cartoon network now...Still a fan of Bleach though.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:53 pm
Site Admin

Meh, I've never been a big fan of the "ongoing boxing arena" flicks such as DBZ, YuYu Hakisho, and Bleach, that just seem to be one gladiator battle setup after another... But if you do like that sort of thing, I'd hate to admit it, but I've seen enough of Ikkitousen to say that it maybe right up your ally - along those lines, but with a lot more sex and violence. Legendary high school killers re-living the saga of the rose kingdom (while performing much pointless fan service).

Some of the characters in Ikkitousen seem to be ripped right from Bleach - or visa versa - I'm not sure which series aired first.

Ikkitousen AMV says it all:
http://www.thothie.com/4jiggly6/Ikkitou ... ice_MV.avi

Searching Ikkitousen on YouTube should do you fine, if you don't want to DL that 16mb AMV. (Hell, it looks like there are whole episodes up there.)

I have to admit that some of the sex/violence is at least well choreographed. ;)

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Outlaw Star is one of the adult swim animes that got me out of my "newbie pokemon stage" of anime.

last watched: pia carrot
currently watching: pita ten
watching next: (forgot, not at home comp)** ehh, maybe angelic layer.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:11 am
Profile WWW

:O, u guys are missing out, look up Death Note, good anime series, very recent, it hasn't been dubbed yet

Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Picked up Highlander: The Search for Vengeance on a whim at Target for like $12 the other day. Much better than I thought it was going to be.

Basically it's an Anime take on the highlander story, set in a post-apoc setting in the nearish future. Movie is worth checking out, think it was from the guys that made Ninja Scroll animation wise.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 pm
Profile ICQ

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:05 pm

Oh shit, someone revived the animu thread. Quick look at amazon got me prices of 80+ for the full series and movie. Definitely worth it though, hands down.

Recently Finished: Mushishi, Basilisk

Currently Watching: Berserk, Stellvia of the Universe, Bleach, Claymore, Death Note, Hayate no Gotoku

Going to Watch: Genshiken

I know, I'm a weeaboo for watching so much. All of the series are quite good, would be hard to pick out a single favorite.

PS: Fucking post in the anime thread and reveal your inner loser, your soul will be glad.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next