Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 

haven't seen death note but sure, I'm familiar (and leery) of the premise

[edit]
I'm just going to watch last exile
[/edit]

on a random note what something that is in the similar vein of Princess mononoke, or Nausica of the valley of the wind type stuff?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33 pm
Jigglyroom Admin

You guys seen Pokemon? Good shit. Intriguing story and awesome battles full of blood and gore.

Morning Wood Lumber Co. "Hard wood is Happy wood!"

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 pm

only if you watch it un dubbed and with tittays?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:37 am
Site Admin

That Annoying Kid wrote:
haven't seen death note but sure, I'm familiar (and leery) of the premise

Deathnote is interesting - not the best anime ever, but it certainly spawned that whole oddly restricted superpower / mental chess battle genre. I suppose, if you wanted to avoid watching the whole lengthy series to get that effect, the first live action movie would be the way to go. Pretty much covers the entire first thirteen episodes of the anime, without wasting any time.

That Annoying Kid wrote:
on a random note what something that is in the similar vein of Princess mononoke, or Nausica of the valley of the wind type stuff?

Pretty much anything and everything Miyazaki...

In order from most adult/action oriented, to most child/dream oriented:
• Tales from Earthsea (trailer)
- This one is a bit odd, with the patricidal hero. English dub features Willem Dafoe, as the androgynous villain, and Edgar James Olmos as Gandalf.
• Laputa: Castle in the Sky
• Howl's Moving Castle - always a classic
• Whispers of the Heart
• Spirited Away - also Oscar certified
• My Neighbor Totoro / Ponyo
(Mind you, even when Miyazaki is writing for five-year-olds, it's worth seeing.)

Movies/Series very reminiscent of said:

Now and Then, Here and Now (Series)
- Very Monoke'ish theme, and Miyazaki'esque animation style. I'm sure he was involved with it somehow... Think it's at least his studio.
Origin: Spirits of the Past (Movie)
- Same could be said of this, but it's not really up to par with Miyazaki's work - more of a pale imitation. Still, it's pretty good up until when the protagonist goes super-sayan.

Stretching a bit:

Memories [trailer] (Various movie shorts - actually not much of a stretch)
Metropolis (lol @ classic trailer)
- Oh wait, look, here's the whole movie... Though dubbed, and a buttload of commercials.
Millenium Actress [trailer] (Movie, AA Certified)
Placed Promised [trailer] (Movie)
Blue Drop (Series)
Xam'd (Series)
Roujin Z [trailer] (Older Movie, bits of same studio - More focus on t3h funny)

There's some others that I haven't seen... Steam Boy and Kikki's Delivery Service come to mind... But that list should cover the bases well enough for now.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW

thank you very much for the list dear mastah
^^^^^^

• Howl's Moving Castle - always a classic <-- of course I've seen this
• Spirited Away - also Oscar certified <-- of course I've seen this, it was awesome

I'm going to start on the list after I wrap up the 4 series that I'm watching concurrently

on a random note
what do you think of the irresponsible captain tylor, and also what is his name... Biking teacher sensi super cool teacher onikunzan oh yeah the great teacher onizuka??

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm

shucks, upon listening to and watching the opening music of last exile I realize I've seen this series before ololol

Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:20 am
Site Admin

I only saw the first episode of "The Irresponsible Captain Tylor", didn't really seem my kinda thing - our hero is an inept asshole sorta theme... Some people swear by it though.

I think I saw the OVA of "Great Teacher Onizuka", which was kinda fun, but I think there were only three episodes, and I never got around to looking for the rest of the series.

I do, again, recommend the original Last Exile series, though I've little to no experience with the new one.

Meh, I may vanish from the on-line world for a bit - I feel a Windows re-install coming on. Either that, or the third graphics card RMA in as many months. :\

Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my hidden favorites, as it's an anime that most people have never heard of, and I quite enjoy it.

I can see how somebody might see it as "inept asshole" after episode 1 but the series is primarily a comedy, and while certainly inept (or is he?) the main character is fairly endearing in my opinion. Some pretty obvious cliche's, particularly in some of the support characters, and it shows it's age. Holds up pretty well for as old as it is IMO.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:59 pm
Profile ICQ

OR IS HE?

^^^^ exactly

Thoth is just an never ending pit of blackness and cynicism, feel free to disregard him and his set in ways

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 pm
Site Admin

Did you guys grow up with Inspector Gadget?

It got especially suspicious, when they had an office party for Uncle Gadget, for 25 years of service, and you realize, wait, Penny's like eight - how the hell did this guy survive for so long!?

And when you look at all the incredible close shaves this guy has, even without Penny's hidden help, you begin to realize that maybe he really is just super-bad ass, and he's simply trying to inflate his niece's ego.

I suppose, coming to that conclusion, maybe why the super-fool concept doesn't much appeal to me these days. ;)

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Some additions from a friend:

gunsmith cats
strikewitches
Kara no Kyoakai: the garden of sinners
darker than black
black lagoon (apparently I'm not going to want to miss this one, bro)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 am
Site Admin

Gunsmith Cats
- Ummm, no.

Strikewitches
- If you're a pedophile. Otherwise, no.

Kara no Kyoakai: the garden of sinners
- Not seen it. ...Looks potentially interesting though...

Darker than Black
- Meh. Never got past the first ep, but I keep meaning to come back to it.

Black Lagoon (apparently I'm not going to want to miss this one, bro)
- It's the hard-core version of Cowboy Bebop. Pretty good, if you're into that. Did a post yonder. Not watched the dubbed versions, but from what I've seen of them they are kinda meh, though they do provide the appropriate degree of swearing.

Granted, if you are into that sort of thing, as I keep plugging, Baccano! and Durarara! are both on Hulu - in dual languages in Baccano's case. Both pull that off better, with an up beat and a bit of mystery to boot. That is, assuming it isn't the chick-who-kicks ass angle that you're hooked on. (If that is the case, after BL, head to Claymore, Grenadier, or some such...)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

seen claymore

also yeah I figured he was giving me some bad apples in there, hence running the list by yall

seen darken than black already.

Any Thothies any good Japanese isolationism in the future style anime you can recommend?
And can you go phase that thread from Funny links to ask pinkness?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm
Site Admin

The only thing I can think of, off hand, is Pale Cacoon. I'm sure there's more, but... Meh. Maybe if you can name another "isolationist" anime you liked, I can think of something close to said, or ask Lady X about it.

Gotta be careful taking anime recommendations from Otaku, without being very specific as to what you are after. It's easy to get so caught up in the fandom that you forget that not everyone has the same taste you do. For instance, I like Galaxy Express 999, a lot, but I'm not going to recommend it to anyone I don't already know is into that sorta thing. ;)
"If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true or false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced." - Maetel, Galaxy Express 999
Thothie

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:03 am
Profile YIM WWW

>_> <_< >_> Steins;Gate.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next