Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Anime Most Wanted: The Return 
Site Admin

I can't say that Spice and Wolf is an all time favorite, but it was an interesting little tid bit. Sadly, I think the second season got hijacked by different writers. The charm of Wolf was that she seemed like a hundred year old man in a young girl's body, putting me, endearingly, in mind of someone I once knew, but alas, they seem to be playing up the helpless little girl angle now. It may yet turn out this sudden helplessness is some horribly elaborate ruse on Wolf's part, but I've gotten far enough into the second season that I really doubt it, and the show has kinda lost its appeal. Haven't been able to bring myself to go any further into it for awhile now.

On the other hand, there is a sh*tload of new stuff that looks potentially interesting on Hulu. Granted, 99% of everything that looks interesting there turns out to be crap, but they did host Mushi-Shi there for the longest time, and that's certainly an all time favorite, with no guilt in the pleasure at all. Bacanno! is also, cleanly, an all-time favorite they had for awhile, but alas, both expired.

Currently I'm looking at Red Garden. It's dubbed, but fairly well, and appropriately enough, as it seems to take place in New York. Only seen the first episode so far though, and while the first episode is quite intriguing, it does risk turning into a magical girl flick.

There's all sorts of other stuff on there I dunno when I'm going to get the time to look at. Romeo X Juliet is well reviewed, and likely next on my trial hit list. Shigurui might hit the blood lust well. Bunch of others I've put on my view list - too numerous to go over really. I likely won't get to half of them before July. :/

Hulu's Current Toon Line-up
"Take his proposal to fix that whole health care mess with the only proven cure-all: tax breaks. It’s simple: Most people who can’t afford health insurance are also too poor to owe taxes. But if you give them a deduction from the taxes they don’t owe, they can use the money they’re not getting back from what they haven’t given to buy the health care they can’t afford." - Colbert
Thothie

edit: Wait, Baccano is still on Hulu - just not in their animation catagory for some reason.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 am
Profile YIM WWW

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 pm
Profile ICQ
Site Admin

Mmmmm... Mmmmelfina...

Other than that, never thought there was much to see there... Although some of the soundtrack is nice.

Going through Romeo X Juilette with mixed feelings... Shigurui, however, is brutality taken to an art form. ;)

Red Garden turned into a regrettable waste of time, although it never turned into Sailor Moon, as I feared. About 3/4ths of the way through, the character motivation becomes untenable, and the ending is just, blah. Still, I must give the girls who did the dubbing some credit for being the best screamers I've heard since Elvira was hosting Movie Macabre.

I noticed that Viacomm pulled The Daily Show and Colbert Report from Hulu. Not sure what the motive was there... You can still watch them for free on their respective websites - with less ads even, although crappier quality and screwy player. Tis odd though - seems if Hulu was paying for the bandwidth and pulling ad revenue, it was a win-win situation for Viacomm, vs. hosting it themselves. Suspect some power mongering going on there.

(PS. NEVER image search for "Melfina" with the Safe Search off. :oops:)

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW

(PS. NEVER image search for "Melfina" with the Safe Search off. :oops:)

.....Never search for anything with safe search off. It is the interwebz after all.

Outlaw star isn't really anything special, just one of the first three anime I ever saw back in the old old CN days. The other two being Gundam Wing and Cowboy bebop. As such, I pull it out every few years when I can't remember a damn thing about it and re-watch it.

As such I'll probably start a run back through the collection here, as I am too broked to buy new stuff for a month or 4. That and Hululz, I suppose. Gotta get use out of my PlayOn.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:12 pm
Profile ICQ

http://www.hulu.com/watch/54164/naruto- ... 1-n1-so-i0

Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:19 pm
Site Admin

Meh... Never could get into Naruto - although two of my friends keep recommending it, they both have kids, so, judgment, not trusted.

I don't like arena-based anime, and have never found a never-ending one that I really liked. (The two longest I could handle being Twelve Kingdoms, and Monster, both of which have definite beginnings and ends, or at least limited story arcs.)

Not found a new anime I've liked in a long time, but it is true, I've barely scratched the surface of Hulu's slew of offerings - even if they are mostly bulk-rate.

Speaking of bulk-rate anime, I noticed M.Night Shammie is soon to release an Avatar the Last Air Bender movie. Not sure how that's going to go...

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:27 am
Profile YIM WWW

Speaking of bulk-rate anime, I noticed M.Night Shammie is soon to release an Avatar the Last Air Bender movie. Not sure how that's going to go...

I'm only a little ashamed to say that I liked that series. The fighting animation was really better than just about any other anime I've ever seen, the voice acting was alright even if the script wasn't amazing, and the premise while somewhat trite was still interesting. Don't judge me damnit.

On another note, Naruto is a very average shonen similar to bleach or DBZ. It consists of mainly one character who always AGAINST ALL ODDS is always able to overcome whatever obstacle he faces by making some slight and insignificant adjustment to a single fighting move he learns in the first episode of the series. The large majority of it is very lazily animated, the story is really nothing new, and there's enough filler to open a sausage factory. The first "season" has something like 150 episodes, of which maybe 50 episodes were pertinent to the plot.

I'll admit I watched the first series in its entirety (significantly less enthusiastically after episode 50). I was really only tuning in week to week to see if the plot was ever going to get back on track, but alas the answer was always no. When Shippuden came along all the fansubbers and critics were in an uproar about how the filler was finally coming to an end, and how shippuden would be a miracle for all boring anime. I believed the hype and watched the first 40 episodes of shippuden, at which point it started turning into the bullshit filler of its predecessor. In short, just the thought of Naruto angers me based on the amount of my time it wasted.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:46 am

iirc filler starts around 130 and goes till 180 ~200, then it goes to shippudden

it is lazy animation though, there is a gif out there that shows be bop and naruto having the exact same motions

Airbender should be okay

Thothies: Haven't met a new anime I've really gotten down with in a while, then again I really haven't been looking. Last thing I found semi interesting was vexile isolation of japan which I discovered from here

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:51 am

iirc filler starts around 130 and goes till 180 ~200, then it goes to shippudden

it is lazy animation though, there is a gif out there that shows be bop and naruto having the exact same motions

Airbender should be okay

Thothies: Haven't met a new anime I've really gotten down with in a while, then again I really haven't been looking. Last thing I found semi interesting was vexile isolation of japan which I discovered from here

There are 220 episodes, the first 75 episodes are relatively on key with interspersed filler here and there. Then from 76 until like 100 its pure filler. Then back on key when they spend 7 episodes teaching him that swirly blue move and finding the large breasted woman, then there's about another 100 episodes of filler until the very last episode where they say they're going to go "train" for 2 years until shippuden starts. It's ridiculous. Everything else is just them walking around the countryside, helping people in small villages that they'll never meet again(most of which are multipart episodes) or eating curry.

I mean there are only 50 books in the original manga, there really was not enough content to stretch that into 220 episodes.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 am

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:40 am

lol Lee vs Bone Guy. Alright we'll say there's interspersed plot-line episodes throughout the sea of filler.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm

lol Lee vs Bone Guy. Alright we'll say there's interspersed plot-line episodes throughout the sea of filler.

Yeah :(

Filler makes me cry on the inside, but I'm so addicted to the characters that I have to see what happens.

In its defense, at one point the filler just stops and you've got stretched out action for like 40 episodes. IIRC, maybe shippuden 120+ ? I can't remember exactly.

I'm on like episode 145 though and still watching, there's a bunch of shit going on right now.

They seriously start explaining everything, you get answers to the questions you've had since the beginning of the series, and I'm starting to think they're going to wrap this puppy up finally and just stop making them.

A small part of me is sad, but the majority of me is glad that I don't have to sit through anymore filler. I've become very familiar with the seek bar on hulu. It and I are like best buddies from Vietnam, and the filler is the Charlie.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:44 pm

So, I went looking through the hulu animation line-up the other day and what should I find but Soul Eater in its entirety both dubbed and subbed versions. Watching it again made me remember just how excellent of a series this was. If you let it pass you by the first time, I highly recommend watching it now that you have easy access to it.

I'm not really so much a subtitle snob as much as so many other anime fans I know. I believe there have been quite a few well done dubs over the years, but this is not one of them. If you do watch it, subtitled is really the only way to go. It loses a lot in the incapable hands of it's english voice actors.

*edit*
balls, it's missing 2 on the subtitled side. One of which being episode 18, which is a particularly important episode. I haven't found the second delinquent episode yet, but I'm sure it will pop up eventually. 18 is available on the dubbed side for now, which I suppose is better than not watching it at all... probably.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:03 am

So, I went looking through the hulu animation line-up the other day and what should I find but Soul Eater in its entirety both dubbed and subbed versions. Watching it again made me remember just how excellent of a series this was. If you let it pass you by the first time, I highly recommend watching it now that you have easy access to it.

I'm not really so much a subtitle snob as much as so many other anime fans I know. I believe there have been quite a few well done dubs over the years, but this is not one of them. If you do watch it, subtitled is really the only way to go. It loses a lot in the incapable hands of it's english voice actors.

*edit*
balls, it's missing 2 on the subtitled side. One of which being episode 18, which is a particularly important episode. I haven't found the second delinquent episode yet, but I'm sure it will pop up eventually. 18 is available on the dubbed side for now, which I suppose is better than not watching it at all... probably.

You can watch the original no subtitled version of the episodes still because the closed captioning options for Hulu display the text. I had to do that with naruto.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:59 pm

out of morbid curiosity I watched the last couple shippuden episodes

pretty cool, doing the epic fight thing and all with the learned power etc

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next